Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The One True Judge

One of my greatest struggles as a man of God is striving to not be judgmental of others.  I will admit for a long period in my life I would place myself above others simply because I considered myself more morally sound then them.  I even found myself judging other Christians to the point I didn't want to associate with them because I considered myself to be better.

This simply was a horrible way to be living my life claiming to be a strong Christian.  For one I am not perfect myself and as Jesus told the crowd in John, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." And secondly being part of a "body of Christ", I should be working to build up others in Christ not breaking them down.

With that said I have come across many examples of why I should be lifting others up instead of tearing them apart.  One of these examples is a passage from James 4:11-12 "Do not speak evil against one another brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law.  But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?"  Another example I hear frequently comes from a song by my favorite band Relient K which says "the judge of you is someone I could never be..." from there the song speaks about everyone having second chances to do right in the eyes of the Lord.

Recently I have been striving to not look down upon others for I truthfully have no right to. It is a continuous battle but I can say God has given me a softer heart to work at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcWQZyXHu5Y

No comments:

Post a Comment